The student news publishing site of Rider High School in Wichita Falls, TX.

The Rider Chronicle

Battle of the Arts 3 : Applied vs Performing

Applied : To be put to practical use as opposed to being theoretical.

Despite the strong bond Fine Arts holds separately between Applied and Performing Arts, the bond doesn’t come close to as strong as the one shared between Applied and Performing Arts. To fully understand the impact the three arts have on each other, Battle of the Arts will be observing what could be an artistically perfect union.

“With Performing Arts, I think of theater because I’ve been in it since fifth grade with my first role being the candy man in Willy Wonka. With Applied Arts, I think off stage. You have more freedom to do what you want instead of a director or cast mate telling you what to do. You have more creativity when it comes to Applied Arts because it’s your imagination.” -Senior Amy Levy.

Applied and Performing Arts share a special bond due to the massive contribution Applied Arts offers despite getting associated with just being the art including in theatrical productions. Amy Levy discusses this unique contribution through her cosplay and fashion: “I have so much freedom to do whatever with clothing items, props and accessories. It’s restricting because when I choose a certain character, I have to look like that character. Though I can genderbend, make them steam punk or gothic looking.”

It is this capability to portray anyone or thing to look like a specific entity that allows Applied Arts to be so noticeable yet largely influential in Performing Arts as, “In theater, you are portraying this character or you’re directing somebody to be someone else. In technical theater, you’re making the costume. It’s the same as Applied Arts because you have a character that requires technicality, like a costume that you can leave to your imagination, which in a sense is the director.” Amy Levy explains.

Amy Levy, considering the chance of becoming an actor or director, looks towards the possibility of owning a cosplay or makeup business. When putting the two Arts against each other, she tells her opinion on the conflict: “I give both equal time. I don’t have a preference. Both of them include being over dramatic and ridiculous and I’m all about that.”

Amy Levy’s artistic motivation stands: “It’s a passion. Ever since I was born, my dad would give me a crayon with paper and instruct me to draw something. He has this entire sketchbook of just drawings I’ve made so I kinda grew up on art. Whenever I was in fifth grade, my music teacher told me I should try out for this play and I ended up getting a big role. That along with the people around me really motivated me. I really enjoyed it so I wanted to do something with it and that carried me further. It’s one of my favorite things to do and it’s a great stress reliever.”

Battle of the Arts 4 : https://www.theriderchronicle.com/feature/2017/03/21/battle-of-the-arts-4-fine-vs-fine/