The Rider Chronicle

Is it or Isn’t it Romantic?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Is it or Isn’t it Romantic?

Manasvi Reddy, Copy Editor

Romantic comedies, known for setting unrealistic expectations for love with whimsical fantasies and clichés, are an easy victim for those skeptical of the predictable and heartfelt plots of the genre.

Screenwriters of “Isn’t it Romantic?”, Dana Fox, Erin Cardillo and Katherine Silberman have crafted a captivating film perfect for those who are weary of typical rom-coms. The movie emphasizes the commonly noted “flaws” of the genre only to flirt with a heartfelt example of a love story at its finest.

“Isn’t it Romantic?” features Natalie (Rebel Wilson), an architect in the bustling city of Manhattan. Her immense talent and passion for her job are often masked by her lack of self-esteem, and she often lets her employees take advantage of her. Romance has never been part of the equation for her, so when she suffers a concussion in the subway and is knocked unconscious following a mugging, Natalie wakes up in a beautified, far more glamorous version of New York than she remembered that was strikingly similar to those of the rom-coms she had vocalized her annoyance with before.

Before she even leaves the hospital, Natalie finds herself running into a potential love interest, Blake (Liam Hemsworth), someone she would normally consider way out of her league. Her former close friend and assistant, (Betty Gilpin), had become her rival in the new world. Josh (Adam DeVine), her co-worker, was suddenly dating a gorgeous yoga ambassador (Priyanka Chopra), and Natalie, totally out of the blue, was starting to have feelings for him.

Throughout the film, Director Todd Strauss-Schulson seemingly takes apart every piece of a conventional romantic comedy and reassembles the parts into a fresh take on the genre from the spontaneous (yet well choreographed) broadway-level musical numbers in public to the narrator that, to Natalie’s dismay, reveals her thoughts to the audience.

The screenwriters also included classic rom-com bits such as the well-known “realize and run”. This is the part of the movie in which it dawns upon the main character that he or she is meant to be with the person they had overlooked for so long, so the star runs in an overly-dramatic scene through pouring rains or crowds of people to make a huge gesture to their true love.

The comedy in the script is average, but Rebel Wilson’s execution takes the laugh-factor to the next level. One scene in particular had Wilson frazzled upon realizing that she was not able to use profanity in her new world, leaving the audience laughing out loud (and a few choking on their popcorn).

“Isn’t it Romantic?” both parodies and accepts it’s romantic comedy-like skeleton in a delightful, twentieth century take on the genre. The film is most definitely a must-see for both hopeless romantics and those leery of the whimsical world of love.