Helton was the Chronicle’s copy editor for two years. (Casey Jordan Photography)
Helton was the Chronicle’s copy editor for two years.

Casey Jordan Photography

Reflections of black and gold

May 26, 2022

High school’s a funny thing. Sure, it’s romanticized in the movies and glorified by our elders, but I have yet to see a flash mob of spontaneous song and dance–or a clean bathroom, for that matter.

I’d call it a toxic, love-hate relationship. I lose countless hours of sleep (that I may never get back), school gives me academic validation. My mental stability teeters on the edge, I get my little cookie-cutter diploma and a cheap 15 seconds of recognition. Fair trade, right?

Sarcasm aside, though, I guess high school’s been alright. I managed to stay out of trouble, write a couple articles and even make some lifelong friends. I danced at my senior prom, made it to State, watched some decent football games and accumulated some life lessons. All in all, I’d leave a decent review.

As far as the decisions I made, however, I think joining my first journalism class was the best. It led me to one of my greatest strengths and passions, as well as some pretty awesome experiences. Through the newspaper, I have made leaps in improving my writing, confidence and people skills. I also found something to redeem those days I just did not want to come to school.

All in all, I’d say that newspaper writing has become something I never intend to let go of. I have to pack up the last six years of my life soon and move fourteen hours away for college. Until recently, I had no idea where to start with choosing a major. But as I thought about it some more, I decided to go with what I’m good at: journalism.

Whether or not I intend to pursue a career in this field, I’m unsure. But I do know that it’s one of the most important aspects of my life right now and I’m very appreciative of where it’s allowed me to go.