Pocowachit says being a trainer taught her to be more compassionate. (DeEdra Folmar)
Pocowachit says being a trainer taught her to be more compassionate.

DeEdra Folmar

Q/A with senior athletic trainer Avery Pocowatchit

September 14, 2021

With senior night approaching this Friday, the Rider Chronicle is interviewing various senior leaders who will be honored on the field during our annual tradition. Senior athletic trainer Avery Pocowatchit discussed her role and what her plans are going forward with this year.

Q: How long have you been a trainer and why have you stayed this long?

A: I’ve been a trainer for three years. I’ve stayed this long because I really enjoy the program and being around sports without having to be in sports because I got injured and could no longer play volleyball. 

Q: What makes being a trainer special for you? 

A: The sisterhood with all of my teammates and the brotherhood with all of the football players, baseball players and anyone else that you work with.

Q: What do you want to accomplish your senior year, both personally and within being an athletic trainer?

A: Personally, I hope to work hard this year and get accepted into Tarleton State University to pursue being an athletic trainer and to master my ankle tape job in athletic training.

Q: What’s your favorite memory of being a trainer?

A: Probably all of the late-night practices. They are always fun and you get to have a feel of what the season is going to be like and the energy is always high.

Q: What will you miss once you leave?

A: I’ll definitely miss all of the athletic trainers that I work with now, the coaches and all of the bonds that have grown through athletic training.

Q: How have you changed since your freshman year and why?

A: I’ve definitely grown to be a better and more understanding person. Athletic training has taught me how to be more compassionate for others. 

Q: Last message to your fellow trainers. What do you want them to know? 

A: I want them to know that I appreciate them more than anything and they mean more to me than they think. They not only help me through the good days and bad days, but make me want to be a better trainer and make me enjoy what I do.