Manasvi Reddy makes candy grams during a Student Council activity in February. (Myla Bradford/Rider Media )
Manasvi Reddy makes candy grams during a Student Council activity in February.

Myla Bradford/Rider Media

Signing off as paper’s editor-in-chief

May 27, 2021

I signed up for journalism as a freshman with little intention of developing a liking for the subject, let alone spending 3.5 years writing for the school newspaper. Truthfully, I was just looking for an elective to fulfill the graduation requirement. Yet, here I am, dozens of stories and countless hours in the newsroom later, saying goodbye to one of the most defining components of my high school career.

Being a staff member, in general, can be challenging at times, but taking on editor-in- chief has involved a slew of new responsibilities; however, the most overwhelming part of the experience has been navigating this leadership role as the only remote student on staff. At the beginning of the school year, I was concerned about the potential lack of communication and accountability associated with virtual communication. Yet, despite the circumstances, we’ve still hit milestones, developed our skills and written about topics that we’re passionate about. 

If I could go back in time, I would tell my 14-year-old self to savor every second spent in the newsroom because the opportunity to grow in an environment filled with such amazing people is a rare gift.

Olivia’s outspokenness and desire to be a catalyst for change will make her editorials inspiring and thought-provoking. Meghan is late to class sometimes, but that’s OK because her infamous eyerolls will keep everyone laughing. Sandra has the best handwriting of the group by far and is truly one of the kindest people you’ll ever meet. Sheridan will always be the first one to say “hello.” Melina will talk to quite literally anyone and loves to recruit new friends. Sidney will take on any story you give her without a complaint. And, of course, Coach Duncan’s determination to make you step outside of your comfort zone will, to your dismay, land you on the court of a basketball game. You’ll survive, I promise.

I’m signing off one last time with nothing but gratitude for the people, the experiences, the readers, the growth and the opportunities The Rider Chronicle has brought into my life.