Kensee+Lopez+works+on+styling+hair+during+her+class+at+the+CEC.+

Alyssa Thomas/Rider Media

Kensee Lopez works on styling hair during her class at the CEC.

CEC providing real world experience to students right now

September 27, 2022

The Career Education Center was created to prepare students for their lives after graduation and their future careers. However, it is helping many students gain real life work experience while they are still in high school. 

One of these students is senior Taegan Correll, who became a certified nursing assistant last year.

“I work in a nursing home right now so getting my CNA helps with that,” Correll said. 

Correll is currently in the medical aide program at the CEC and she spends two class periods a day there taking practicum in health science. 

“I like that we’re able to help people regardless of what field we decide we want to go into,” Correll said. 

Senior Kensee Lopez is in the cosmetology program and she spends her last four periods a day at the CEC.

When asked about her favorite part of her program, Lopez said, “just being able to be around everyone and being able to interact with clients while we’re still in school.”

Lopez plans to continue in cosmetology after graduation. 

It is humbling to realize that we helped give students a start in a career field that enables them to grow and take care of themselves in the future,” CEC assistant principal Jennifer Spurgers said. 

Senior Evelyn Rabago is in the electrical program. These students get to work on the CEC’s house that is designed and built by the students in construction classes. The house is auctioned off once completed. 

“It’s very hands on,” Rabago said. “I learn something new basically every day.”

There are a multitude of programs to choose from at the CEC and it could seem overwhelming to new students. Principal Synthia Kirby advised students to choose a program that they’re interested in, not what their friends are doing. 

“I know it’s fun to have classes with your friends, but really this is a good opportunity to see if you like something,” Kirby said. “You may find out you don’t like it and you don’t waste all that money going to college or tech school, or waste your time trying to find a job in that field when you found out in high school it wasn’t for you.”