Hope Lindsay built a computer and won Best in Show. (Contributed)
Hope Lindsay built a computer and won Best in Show.

Contributed

Computer Creations

May 23, 2022

Millions of people are connected throughout the world due to computers. The technology industry thrives off competition.

Now, with Career Education Centers throughout school districts, students, such as Hope Lindsay,  are able to build computers and compete against each other.

During the recent SkillsUSA Computer Maintenance Competition, students had the choice between building a business computer (which is operational) or a fantasy computer.

Lindsay built a “business” model of a computer.

“I just like the way it looks. Fantasy, you can be more creative with it, but it wouldn’t actually be a PC,” Lindsay said.

At the competition, Lindsay, along with other students left the computers overnight, and returned the next day to see the results from the judges. Lindsay woke up to good news that she won a gold medal.

“One of our other competitors called me at seven in the morning,” Lindsay said. “I was still in the hotel. And told me I won. So, it was pretty good, but I went back to bed.”

Lindsay’s teacher, David White, guided her throughout the process. Lindsay was the only one of his Computer Maintenance students to enter.

“She had to present her project at the district level where she received a blue ribbon and qualified for state,” White said.  “At state, she received a superior rating as well as Best of Show for her field.”

Computers are complicated to build. Not many people would be able to do what Lindsay did in the course of two weeks.

The hardest part, Lindsay said, was “the graphics card, because they’re so hard to get right now.” The easiest, she said, was the end.

While the competitors had the option to sell the computers they built, Lindsay is planning on buying hers.

Many other Rider students also were given an opportunity to display their skills from their classes at the CEC.

Electrical Construction Wiring- Braun Scott: gold

Plumbing- Gideon Perez: gold, Logan Contreras: silver

Welding- Jorge Barron: gold

Automotive Service Technology- Parker Jackson: gold

HTML/CSS Technical Test- Madalyn Grady: silver, Brianna Tolley: bronze