Rider’s players huddle up one final time after Friday’s loss to Lubbock Cooper. (Laila Almanza/Rider Media )
Rider’s players huddle up one final time after Friday’s loss to Lubbock Cooper.

Laila Almanza/Rider Media

Raiders’ superb season comes to a close

Lubbock Cooper beats Rider in quarterfinals

December 4, 2021

ABILENE — Rider’s star-studded season came to a close Friday night with a 22-0 loss against Lubbock Cooper High School. 

The team gathered for a final huddle, and with silent tears streaming down their faces, they cried “One Family, One Team!”

“I’m just proud of how they competed,” head coach Marc Bindel said. “We didn’t play great offensively, but I thought we played well defensively. Well enough to win the game.”

As the clock wound down the final seconds, it was apparent that the Raiders had realized their defeat. Still, support poured endlessly from their coaches.

“There’s 64 teams that enter the playoffs, and for 63 of them, their season’s going to end in a loss,” Bindel said. “There’s definitely a finality to it, especially for the seniors.”

This Cooper victory evens the score between the schools in state quarterfinals at 2-2. Rider won in 2018 and 2020, while Cooper took the victories in 2019 and now 2021.

On the field, it seemed that the numerous penalties and misplays took a toll on the Raiders’ spirit. Rider trailed 9-0 at halftime and Cooper scored a defensive touchdown in the third quarter. 

“It just felt like it slipped away from us,” junior quarterback Jack Pitts said. “Honestly, I think we were the better team. We just made a lot of little mistakes that added up to bigger mistakes.”

The Raiders only managed a mere 194 total yards, despite three of their possessions starting in Pirate territory.

“(Cooper) just has a really strong defense,” Pitts said. “Their No. 1, No. 2, No. 3, they’re good guys and they blitz them a lot. It’s always great playing football with them.”

Once again, the state quarterfinals mark the end of Rider’s season. However, the records set by this year’s team have made every game worth playing.

“Our seniors are studs and they have great character,” Bindel said. “And I think character was contagious, so much so that it spread throughout the team.

“I don’t know about next year. I mean, it’s a long way off and people come and go. But, for this year and these guys, I’m super proud of them.”

This year’s Raiders tied the school wins record and finished with a 12-2 mark. As for the seniors, they exceeded the amount of total wins ever observed by a single class—even more than JT Barrett’s group.

“It’s hats off to them,” Bindel said. “I love those guys and they deserve all the credit.”

View Comments (3)
About the Contributor
Photo of Meghan Helton
Meghan Helton, Copy Editor

Hi! My name’s Meghan and I am the Assignment Editor for The Rider Chronicle. I’m a travel enthusiast (I’ve been to over 14 different countries),...

The Rider Chronicle • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (3)

All The Rider Chronicle Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• D

Denise McWhorter aka Aunt NeeseeDec 7, 2021 at 2:27 pm

Thanks for an exciting season. You have brought my love of football back to life. So proud to be a bleachers and sofa cheerleader

Reply
  • B

BejessieDec 4, 2021 at 5:55 pm

We are very proud of each of you Rider Raider Team and all who made this season so exciting to attend.
    Thank y’all.

Reply
  • B

Belinda WolfDec 4, 2021 at 5:08 pm

Amazing article! Amazing job football team and support!!!

Reply
3