FAFSA has now been made a requirement for 2021-22 Rider seniors. (Student Loan Hero)
FAFSA has now been made a requirement for 2021-22 Rider seniors.

Student Loan Hero

FAFSA: what you need to know

October 14, 2021

While yearly changes to the graduation are frequent, a major one this year is the requirement to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, better known as FAFSA. 

With something as important as graduation hanging in the balance, it is essential students understand exactly what it is. Prior to the 2021-22 school year, filling out FAFSA was optional.

FAFSA is the form filled out in order to receive financial college aid from the federal government. Submitting the form is free and must be completed before each academic year if you want to receive aid. The amount awarded to each individual is determined by personal information and your family’s finances, such as tax returns. The types of aid are numerous, including grants, scholarships, work-study jobs, loans, aid for military families and aid for international studies. 

Completing FAFSA is relatively simple, just follow the guidelines below:

1. One parent and one student create their own FSA ID here.
  2. Fill out FAFSA. If filling out the 2022-2023 FAFSA, you will use 2020 tax information.
  3. Check the status of the submitted FAFSA and make corrections if needed. Print your student aid report. Either bring Rider college and career counselor Julie Johnson a copy of the submitted FAFSA or send a screenshot to Johnson’s email at [email protected].

Students can email Johnson with any questions or make an appointment with her if they need assistance. If students want to waiver, meaning they don’t have to complete a FAFSA, Johnson also has that form available, but it is highly recommended to attempt aid.

While the official FAFSA due date is June 30, Rider students must have it completed before graduation, as it is required to graduate. The National FAFSA priority date is January 15.