Jadyn, Bailee, Bella and Kensee (left to right) are sisters who all attend Rider. (Courtesy)
Jadyn, Bailee, Bella and Kensee (left to right) are sisters who all attend Rider.

Courtesy

Four of a kind

All of the Lopez sisters together at Rider

October 25, 2021

Sisterhood: the relationship between sisters. A feeling of kinship with and closeness to a group of women or all women. An association or community of women linked by a common interest, religion or trade. 

For Jadyn Lopez, sisterhood is both loving and inspiring. With all three of her sisters together at the same school, Jadyn is able to spend her senior year surrounded by her beloved siblings. 

“I thought it was going to feel weird and we would be awkward, but it’s not at all,” Jadyn said. “I love it. I always have someone here to talk to and I know we can all keep each other safe.”

Each sister began their athletic career playing soccer, eventually branching out to find their own paths. Jadyn, the oldest, is a varsity captain for the Lady Raiders. Junior Kensee is a cheerleader who also runs track. Freshman twins Bailee and Bella both continue playing soccer, but Bailee has also found her own passion on the volleyball team.

“It’s so sweet. I want them to be with me through my senior year experience. I know I’m going to cry when I leave,” Jadyn said. “We’ve all been playing together since we were like three or four, and we’ve all grown up playing. It’s kind of like our way of bonding. We used to play soccer in the backyard all the time.”

The four sisters may be taking different paths in life, but their unbreakable bond always brings them together at the end of the day.

“We are very close with one another, we tell each other almost everything,” Bella said. “The first thing we do when we get home is complain to each other about our day and people that annoyed us during the day.”

Although Kensee no longer plays, soccer has been a strengthening bond in the family. Kensee said her dad and uncles were the primary reason for the sport’s prominence in their lives. 

Jadyn and Bella also participated in cross-county this year, often running together during races. Jadyn mentioned the sisters aren’t competitive against each other in sports, but the oldest of the four also added “they’re not going to beat me.” 

As twin sisters, Bailee and Bella share a unique kind of bond, though they have varying personalities. 

“We share almost everything: clothes, shoes, a room, friends and much more,” Bailee said. “She is loud and likes to hang out with people, while I’m quiet and like to be by myself in my room. We also look nothing alike.”

After watching Jadyn interact with her sisters in public, it’s apparent that she is her sisters’ biggest fan. She knows she’ll miss being around them when she graduates. 

“I have to take care of them. I have to make sure they don’t run into freshman stuff,” Jadyn said. “I just try to keep them out of doing any embarrassing things.”

But for now, they’ll cherish the moments they have together and the memories of time spent talking and listening to music on Jadyn’s bedroom floor.