Elaine Au and Sandra Le organize candy grams for the student council last year. (Rider Media )
Elaine Au and Sandra Le organize candy grams for the student council last year.

Rider Media

Serving through STUCO

September 30, 2021

Student council has been working hard on bettering Rider by cleaning the school while they prepare for upcoming events. 

There’s a new advisor this year in Annaliese Murray, who replaces Julie Johnson, the school’s college and career counselor. 

“I was assigned student council advisor because the teacher last year was getting overwhelmed with the work, and my name was tossed and mentioned and I just accepted it,” Murray said. 

For Murray her first year has been a good one and she’s enjoying it. 

“It’s been a really fun year personally and getting to know the student council,” Murray said. “My students are doing a really good job coming up with ideas, they’re just great students in general.”

One of the organization’s yearly events is the blood drive, which is scheduled for Nov. 11. Murray plans on also helping make Rider look tidier. 

“We plan on cleaning the school and helping make our school a cleaner environment,” Murray said. “Our blood donation we definitely will be doing it since last year’s kids seemed to have fun.

“I really want to make the school year fun for the student body and make it safe while doing so, and letting my students come with the ideas. It makes me feel like they are having more fun and have more control over themselves.”

President Tate Caswell has enjoyed his first year in charge of the student council. The organization has grown to about 140 members with his help. 

“We really pushed the student council on social media and we want students to get involved and enjoy their stay,” he said. 

Caswell is excited about new projects STUCO will be starting soon. 

“We plan on volunteering at the Young Life Capernaum,” he said. “We will also be hosting a Halloween event, and we never have done that before so we are excited.”