Ashley Caraway is a section leader, squad leader and band officer who plays the clarinet. (Matt English/Contributed)
Ashley Caraway is a section leader, squad leader and band officer who plays the clarinet.

Matt English/Contributed

Q/A with band officer Ashley Caraway

September 13, 2021

Friday night will be a special one for many because it’s Senior Night for the Class of 2022’s JROTC, band, Raiderettes, cheerleaders, color guard, trainers and football team.

The Rider Chronicle is having a series of Q/As with leaders of each organization this week. First up is Ashley Caraway, a section leader, squad leader and band officer who plays the clarinet. Caraway talks about her experience in band and the future that is quickly approaching outside the comforting walls of Rider. 

Q: How long have you been in band and why have you stayed this long?

A: I have been in band for four years and why I have stayed there for so long is that I just really like it. It’s a really good learning experience definitely for both music and both just life in general. I have made so much relationships the last four years. I don’t really know a lot of music people before, and then suddenly I’m in band and I do. And it’s really fun and exciting, like I get to know a lot more people.

Q: What makes band special for you? 

A: What makes it special is I am a leader of a section, I am a squad leader and a band officer for the last two years; and I like teaching the new freshmen. I like the new faces that come each year, like they’re all different. Each year, the music talent goes up and everybody is different each year, and I like to see the wide variety of new people.

Q: What do you want to accomplish your senior year, both personally and within band?

A: What I’d like to accomplish in band is just to have the last four years not to be a regret. I definitely want fun and make a statement. When I graduate, I want people to know how I helped them and how I succeeded.

Q: What’s your favorite memory of band?

A: I would say one time, well actually a few weeks ago, we were at a pool party, for the summer end-of-the-school band party. And there was a football being thrown around, and Studer got the ball. He punted it and there was this little kid and he was like right next to the ball. So, he almost hit the kid. And that was, it was messed up, but it was a funny moment.

Q: What will you miss once you leave?

A: I will definitely miss the pep rallies, the football games, sitting in the sections screaming out and doing the dances.

Q: What have you learned as a member of band? 

A: I learned, being a member, is that to be disciplined and to have pride basically.

Q: How have you changed since your freshman year and why?

A: I have definitely changed. I was shy. I did barely anything, and then band brought me to learn a lot more and to grow as a person.

Q: What do you want to do after high school? Why?

A: What I want to do after high school is go to college and do my basics at MSU and then further my degree in veterinary and science.

Q: Last message to your team. What do you want them to know? 

A: I want them to know that no matter how life comes your way, it’s going to come as a roller coaster and going to come as a surprise. But, don’t stress upon that, focus on what you want to do, and focus on your happiness.