Changes in dual-credit classes

April 15, 2021

Students wanting to take dual-credit courses through Vernon College won’t be able to do so at the Career Education Center any longer. 

Both Midwestern State and Vernon College have withdrawn their professors from all WFISD campuses, prohibiting dual credit students from attending their classes while at their home school. All dual-credit courses will only be available on their respective college campuses or as online classes.

“My understanding is that MSU’s president as well as their deans kind of gave professors the option,” college and career counselor Julie Johnson said. “They asked them, ‘Do you want to meet face-to-face or do you want to go remote?’ And at the beginning of the school year, everyone was still so afraid of the virus, so all of those professors were like, ‘I’m not going to be around all those kids.’”

With the availability of courses restricted to college campuses, there has been a lot of discussion regarding students who can’t drive. 

“MSU says they’re going to see about bussing students from high schools to their campus,” Johnson said. “But, we would have to get every student in the same class at the same time, and that’s going to be difficult. 

“We might have to do that, but if students can drive and get to the campus, they could most likely get a class that fits well into your schedule. So, it’s going to make people make choices.”

Johnson hopes that the changes made for dual credit classes will force parents and students to evaluate whether it’s the right commitment for them.